Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas 2009

**Update 01/04/2010-here are some pics from our time in Scottsdale.**

It is amazing how quickly the week in Scottsdale passed for me. Although we were busy each day I had so much fun soaking in the time with my family and just being around familiar sites, sounds, and smells. We left Seattle early on Saturday morning, and I only got 4 hours sleep. Even so, I was so excited I couldn't sleep on the plane at all. When we started our final descent I started crying as I saw the familiar terrain and knew I'd be home soon. Who knew I would be that emotional just seeing South Mountain?! Here is a picture of our first evening back home. (Notice the beautiful AZ sunset behind me and SHORT SLEEVES in December!)


A highlight of my time in AZ was spending time with family,
especially reconnecting with Garrison. He has changed so much in 7 months and is so verbal now. I can understand ev
erything he says, and he is so smart! He can already spell his name and has a large vocabulary which I think is
amazing for a 3 year old. While there Garrison rediscovered a large gorilla Troy and I had growing up. I would make the gorilla come to "life," and Garrison would talk to it for 20 minutes at a time! (The attention span at his age was amazing!).

The stuffed animal became such a good friend for Garrison he even prayed for Mr. Gorilla before going to bed! Other highlights included going to see Christmas lights at the Pavillions and around the neighborhood with Garrison and my parents, building a gingerbread house, and playing band with Garrison. He would give each of us our assigned instruments as we went around the house playing and singing Christmas songs. Too cute!




I was also able to get together with a friend from high school, see extended family on Christmas, shopping with my Mom on her birthday and see a movie, as well as meet up with our marriage mentors, the Marchants. And of course we had some delicious Mexican food and Grimaldi's pizza!

Being home has reminded both of us how much we both love Phoenix, and we have some big decisions to make in the next few months about whether or not we will stay in Seattle for the next 3 years or go back to Phoenix sometime this summer. Sometimes, like when we are at home, the decision seems very obvious (let's head home!), but Jon would be giving up a lot professionally to move back to the Phoenix area, and this is a big decision to make.


As I reflect back on this year I can't believe all the changes that have taken place. Last year at Christmas we were in our house and both in the same jobs we had been in for 4 and 6 years respectively. This year we were living out of my parent's guest bedroom and buying time to try and see everyone/do everything we wanted to do. What a difference a year makes!

No comments: