Friday, September 11, 2009

Much to report

I've been so busy since my last post I haven't had any time to share everything that is going on. To start with, I got a job as a part time librarian at a K-5 school in West Seattle. The situation is pretty much the opposite of Copper Ridge from the size of the school, the demographics, the library itself, and the building. This school is over 100 years old, and it looks like something out of the movies. It is a large 3 story brick building, and the library takes up a good portion of one side of the 2nd story. I was happy when I walked in and saw there were huge windows because I think I will love that extra light come winter time.

I don't have a full time assistant, so I have been heavily recruiting parent volunteers since I arrived to assist with check-in and check-out of books, running overdue reports, processing of new materials, and copying/laminating materials. I'll find out next week if I have some assistance with all of these things in addition to teaching about 15-17 classes each week.

The downside of my new position is the school is located 19 miles away from our current condo. Luckily it has taken me only 30 minutes each way, but it is enough of a commute that Jon and I have decided to move to Mercer Island to be closer to both of our jobs. This will cut my commute almost in half, and Jon's will be down to 10 minutes. So after six months of being in Bellevue the boxes have reemerged once again.

While not getting my new classroom ready I have been busy (too busy) teaching for the University of Phoenix. I thought this would be a great way to earn some extra money, especially if I didn't find a teaching job, but I am here to testify it is not worth it. I spend usually 20 hours a week proctoring two classes so it is truly like a part time job (without part time job money). The majority of the students don't seem to take the feedback I give them so they repeat the same errors assignment after assignment and proceed to get mad at me when their grade doesn't improve. I refuse to just hand out a passing grade, and subsequently I am not the most liked instructor most of these adult learners have encountered. Luckily I only have FIVE weeks left, and believe me when I say I am counting down the days. I am not planning on continuing this after I have finished.

This past month I have enjoyed my reprieve of library classes for WA certification. I start again in about 10 days, and between teaching for both my new school and UP and packing up our lives again I know I will be very busy. Your prayers for my sanity (and Jon's) would be appreciated!

We ended up not going to Portland over Labor Day because, as luck would have it, it rained the entire 3 day weekend. I realize that is probably "normal" in the Pacific Northwest, but the sad part was it has been completely bright and sunny for the weeks leading up to (and after) Labor Day. Everyone keeps warning me, however, that this might be the last weekend before the sun disappears, and I should get out of the house this weekend. I don't know if they are exaggerating or trying to prepare me for a looonnnggggg fall and winter without seeing the sun I got accustomed to in Arizona.

Here's hoping for a sunny (no pun intended) outcome!

No comments: