I haven't read quite as much as I thought I would this summer due to my recent interest in exploring my genealogy. (9 books, about 3500 pages). However, below is my list of book recommendations and reviews so far this summer. The reviews go in order from first read to most recent, and thus are longer as my memory is fresher. Written on Silk by L.L. Chaikin
***.5/*****
This is a Christian historical romance novel which I read way back in the beginning of June. I remember thinking the book moved quickly and I learned a good deal about the Huguenots, but I wasn't inspired enough to continue reading in the series. However, after reading some of the recent trash I have been subjected to I might consider giving this author another go around.
Fever, 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson ***/*****
I ordered this book for my school library and never got around to reading it last year. It takes place in Philadelphia during the late summer of 1793 when yellow fever hits the town. Like typical fare of this type written for young adults, it is entertaining but nothing that will leave a lasting impression on the reader. I felt like most students would probably enjoy this book, but I much prefer Ann Rinalidi as a historical fiction writer for young adults.
In the Stars by Stacia Deutsch ***/*****
A lighthearted "beach read" about a high school girl who is convinced by her best friend
she will find the love of her life based on astrology. Sure enough on the day predicted a gorgeous, intelligent new student ends up sitting right next to her in biology. They begin dating and she is convinced that he is truly a prince charming. However, could it really be that easy? I won't spoil the ending but suffice to say the conclusion isn't rocket science and pretty easy to predict. It was a fun, easy read though.

Sunrise by Karen Kingsbury ***/*****
Sunrise is the first in a series of books by this Christian author. Even so, the story is a continuation of the trials and tribulations of the Baxter family which are a part of other series. Even though I have never read another Kingsbury novel, it was easy to pick up and begin reading without background information. The novel is pleasant enough and there is some drama, and the author emphasizes the character's faith in dealing with the challenges that arise. I thought the book ended very abruptly, and I didn't like the fact that some of the minor plot elements were left hanging in order to get the reader to continue reading the series. (I think every book should stand independently of each other).
Hollywood Nobody by Lisa Samson **/*****

I can't even explain what exactly about this book didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the writing style which seemed as quirky as the characters and cover. Perhaps it was the undeveloped nature of the minor characters. Maybe it was a plot I could care less about. Whatever the case, this book did nothing for me.
This author was recommended to me by Marie, but unfortunately the only title available at the library was based on the story of Caleb found in the Old Testament. It was a quick, interesting read to see how Caleb viewed the events that transpired during his lifetime. He has remarkable faith and that was encouraging to read about. I think I would probably enjoy one of this authors fiction novels more because this genre isn't typically my favorite.
The Importance of Being Married by Gemma Townley ***.5/*****

The plot sounded great, witty, and entertaining: a young twenty something tells a lie to an elderly friend that she got married to her hunka hunka magazine editor. However, it turns into a huge issue when her friend dies and she inherits her life savings of several million dollars written out to Mrs. Hunka Hunka burning love. Now she has to convince her boss to fall in love with her before the will is forfeited and she doesn't get any of the money. The ending did leave a bit of a shocker, but ultimately it was pretty obvious where the story was heading within the first few chapters. Also, the characters fall in and out of "love" very quickly, and sex is treated as very acceptable outside of marriage. There is also some degree of foul language. If not for these last two points, I probably would have rated the book 4 stars.
Dwelling Places: A Novel by Vinita Hampton Wright ***/*****
I have no idea why this was on my "must read" list. Somebody must have recommended it to me, and I finally picked it up this year. It is not a book I would typically read as it takes place in a small Iowa town set in the modern times. This whole book is pretty depressing and reminded me in some parts of The Bridges of Madison County-a lonely older woman that is overwhelmed by life and decides to sleep with the first man that makes her feel like a woman again. I know these things happen in real life, but I guess I just don't like reading about them. The novel opens as the husband is recovering from a case of depression and his two kids are trying to figure out life on their own since both parents are either trying to get healthy or escape from reality. This book is a starred review from both Booklist and Publisher's Weekly, but I guess it just wasn't my style.
World Without End by Ken Follett **/*****
I picked up this huge novel, over 1000 pages, because Follett's work "Pillars of the Earth" is supposed to be an American classic and was on Oprah's book list. That book, however, was not in the library so I got this "sequel" instead. I love historical fiction and with the press of the first book I was pretty exciting to dive in and forget the fact that this book is so huge I could use it to develop some muscle mass in my arms.

I almost put this book down several different times within the first 100 pages, and that probably would have been a good idea. I realize I am pretty prudish, but this novel was so graphic in its details about sex it reminded me of what a Playboy article must read like. (Do we need to know how often a character likes to orgasm and by what means?) And that isn't even the worst of it. Several characters are brutally raped in graphic detail, and many are killed in alarming visual clarity. The church is viewed as nothing but corrupt, full of lesbian nuns and homosexual priests bent on getting elevated within the church no matter what the cost. The female heroin, Caris, is a strong willed character, but I was left disgusted by her after she got pregnant and drank some poison to kill her baby within the first 200 pages. Why? Because she didn't feel like getting married and having to take care of a baby. She eventually becomes the prioress in the town and is the regarded as a saint by everyone. Ugh.
There is so much brutality, grief, and horror which the characters go through I was unable to sleep on three different nights during the week it took me to read this book. One might argue the book obviously "got" to me, and thus is a powerful work. I would counter with the argument that creating graphic scenes does not constitute good writing. If I really cared about the characters I would have been moved to tears during some point in the excessively long book, which I never was. I would not recommend this book at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment