Monday, February 14, 2011

Thankful

I think I've posted before that I feel very thankful to have found our church home in Seattle. We feel challenged by the message each Sunday, love the music, and have found great friends through our small groups.

One of the first groups I joined shortly after moving to Seattle was the Infertility group at Bethany. It was a great place for women to go to and share our hurts and struggles with other women who could empathize with our situation.  Unfortunately the group disbanded in October 2009, but this past summer it got reinvigorated and I ended up taking a leadership role within the group.  It has been a wonderful way for me to use my passion about this topic in a really great way and fellowship with other women familiar with my situation.

Recently our church decided to have a service themed around the issue of infertility, and I can't tell you what a blessing this is to me.  So many couples face challenges related to this issue (1 in 6!) but because of the shame so often associated with this disease so many try to "go it" alone.  In addition, because the Church so often focuses on families it can be difficult for those wanting to grow their own family and experience trouble.

Scripture, however, invites us to share each others burdens and lift each other up! By making a public declaration and acknowledging this issue, I hope all in our church will benefit: those suffering from infertility, those who have been personally touched by it either themselves or a close family member, and those who don't know anything about it.  The bulletin this Sunday simply read:

Infertility Awareness Sunday. In conjunction with Richard's sermon on the prayer of Hannah on Sunday February 27th, we will be acknowledging those who suffer with infertility issues. There will be a special video and time of prayer as part of the service. We hope those struggling with infertility will allow the church family to encourage, support, and pray with them.

Jon and I will unfortunately be out of town on our mystery vacation during the service, but I look forward to listening to it on podcast when we return.  I will, however, be praying for those couples who will be hearing this message, my church family to have open hearts about this issue, and for God to speak through Pastor Richard about this sensitive topic. I invite you to also pray for my church on Sunday, February 27th and then listen to the sermon about the topic, too.

Galatians 6:2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Hi Kortney,

I have been praying for the service this week. My biggest barrier is knowing I want to go up and ask for prayer, but being afraid or feeling too proud.

Enjoy your mystery vacation! Looking forward to hearing about it!

Kortney said...

I think I would have felt the same way, Darlene. I can't wait to hear what you thought of it!