Jon's grandparents celebrated a milestone wedding anniversary the beginning of October: 60 beautiful years of marriage! The big celebration has been on our calendar for close to a year, and everyone in the family was planning on heading out to Giddings, Texas (halfway between Austin and Houston, population about 5,000) for the event. We were very excited to get to see Jon's dad and step mom (since we so rarely get to see them in Florida) as well as the rest of the family-aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews!
| Jon and Dad |
The weather in Texas was beautiful compared to Seattle, a sunny 68-72 degrees. We were in heaven! The day of the event was perfect. The family got there early to take pictures with a photographer, and we set up for the big open house at the Giddings Country Club. Around 100 guests ended up showing up, and I think Granny and Grandpa had a great time. The other three days were great catching up with family and eating some Texas style grub. And remember the post I mentioned earlier about the lion? He made a surprise appearance and everyone got their picture with him to put in our book.
| Granna and Grandpa |
Living in Seattle I sometimes forget how liberal it is in the great Pacific Northwest, but being in conservative Texas I was reminded that parts of the country think about things very differently. I also developed (or tried to develop) a Texas accent when I was there. It's so easy to add a little "Ya'll" into your speech or change your vowels slightly. Jon called me out on it one day, but who doesn't love a Southern drawl? Coming back to Seattle I instantly lost my new *cute* accent.
Getting together with the family reminded me how I wish we could all live in the same part of the country (or even the same side of the Mississippi river!). Hopefully it won't be another 2 years until we see everyone again!

No comments:
Post a Comment