Monday, June 07, 2010

Parent's visit


I always love to see family, and living so far away makes the time I see family so much more meaningful. This past weekend my parents were in town, and we had so much fun together!

Even though the weather was crummy on Friday we went to Snoqualmie Falls, a quick 30 minute car ride from ou
r house. The mist surrounding the falls made it almost eerie to see, and
my parents were very impressed. They agreed a follow up visit is a must when the weather is better.

Saturday was forecasted to be our one beautiful day of their trip, and the weather didn't disappoint. It was sunny, warm (70's), and you could see for miles. We took a WA ferry over to Bainbridge Island, 30 minutes from downtown Seattle by boat. We had fun soaking up the sun and views on the ride over. The Seattle skyline looked beautiful. Once we ar
rived we didn't have any plans and didn't know what to expect, so we just drove. We went to the northeastern most point of the island to a state beach, and we saw crabs that had washed up in the tide. Jon and I even spotted a seal playing in the sound 200 feet from the beach. Afterwards we went to Bainbride Island's downtown, Winslow, and walked around a bit.
Bainbride Island is famous for their vineyards, and since Jon and I had never been to one we decided to give is a shot. It was an experience, especially since I really don't like the taste of wine (hah!) and the server was determined to make us try the dry wines before she'd let us sample the sweeter, dessert wines I can more easily palate.

We got back to Seattle and visited the Seattle Aquarium. They had one of the largest octopus I have ever seen, and it was actually moving around and was very active. We were disappointed, however, there were no sharks and so few large sea animals inside. Finally, we ate at Ivar's on the water in downtown. My parents both thought it was the best fish and chips they had ever eaten, and I agree it was delicious.

Sunday we went to church and showed my parents around the University District shopping area by the University of Washington. Then we went to Red Mill Burgers for lunch. This
place is a Seattle institution, and when it opened at noon there was already a line of 10 people in front of us. Jon proclaims they have one of the top 5 burgers he has ever eaten (the top burger outside of Milwaukee), and everyone agreed the food was good. In fact, even Oprah has said it is one of the hamburgers you have to eat before you die. (So, for all of my friends reading this blog, what are you waiting for? Get up to Seattle, and I'll provide the transportation there!). :)

Today my parents' flight left Seattle in the early afternoon.
We made a quick trip to West Seattle so my Mom and Dad could see the library and my school. It was nice to have them be able to get a visual for the place I spend so much time in.


No comments: