Saturday, February 20, 2010

Three different cities, three different days

The title of this post pretty much sums up our busy travel week. Last Friday we left Seattle to head for Vancouver, site of the 2010 Olympics games. We had planned this trip last April once we knew we were moving and would be so close to the Olympics. Jon really had an excellent post about our overall experience at his website, but suffice to say we had a great time. We both enjoyed the bed and breakfast we stayed at, and our seats to both events (hockey and moguls) were perfect. We got to witness history as the first Canadian won gold on home turf in men's moguls, and we also got to cheer on an American to a bronze metal in the same event.

Vancouver was, as many of you have heard, very warm for this time of year. Although it rained on Friday and Saturday, similarly to what we have experienced in Seattle this time of year, Sunday was gorgeous with blue skies and highs in the 50's! Both Jon and I enjoyed the city which was very clean, and the Canadians were all so friendly and nice. I purchased my pair of red mittens which is supposedly all the rage this year, but when we found them on Friday night (same day as the Opening Ceremonies) there were plenty left to be had. Speaking of Opening Ceremonies, we were right outside of BC Arena when the event started and saw lots of motorcades taking dignitaries to the event.

After a busy weekend in Vancouver we left the next day for Phoenix for a short, 69 hour trip. It really did fly by. In fact, on Tuesday I left the house at 9:10 and didn't go home until after 5:00PM! I was able to (finally!) see Heather and meet Matthew, her new baby boy, have lunch with Troy and Kelly, catch up with Garrison while babysitting him for the day, and even managed to get a quick meeting with Ericka before leaving. I was happy that I got to catch up with friends and family as well as stop in to see my work "family" from Copper Ridge. Since I was there for six years I knew many of the people a very long time, and many knew me before I even knew Jon! It was really nice to be there and catch up with everyone. It reaffirmed for me why it was so difficult leaving my job in the first place.

Since we returned late Thursday night Seattle has had beautiful blue skies and highs well above normal this time of year. It always helps to return to Seattle with weather like this since I get so spoiled in Phoenix (it was in the 70s there!). We're not sure when we will be back again, but hopefully it won't be seven months from now like our first time out.

No comments: